Monday, June 21, 2010

Lily's Birthday Pillow

I saw this project on Katie's blog last year and always wanted to do it for Missy. It *was* on my list of things to do before the baby was born, but here we are 4 months later! This pillow was made with Love for Lily's 3rd birthday (I have identical fabric for Missy's pillow that I will eventually get to making!).
I initially went looking for Minnie Mouse fleece fabric for Lily because her birthday party was going to be a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme. But then I saw this purpley-pinky minky and I knew the girls would love it. My breastfeeding pillow is made out of minky and its sooo soft and holds up really well through multiple washings.
I followed Martha's basic idea, but I made my own pillow case design as seen here: I did not want to sew the pillow inside the case so that Lily's mom could wash the cover.

Another thing I vamped up was adding interfacing behind the felt letters. I *felt* that the letters would be too flimsy and might tear with multiple buttonings.
I am sooo happy how this turned out!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Wow I love your improved version! What a fun fabric to use and a great idea to use interacing. Aren't you too funny, "felt" indeed!

Anonymous said...

Love the pillow....it looks so hugable!

Nanna

Anonymous said...

YAY! For Minkie AMK! Totally love that stuff!