Friday, May 29, 2009

The Peppy Project: 24 hours in

I went to pick Missy up from daycare yesterday and they informed me that there weren't any peppys (soothers) at daycare that they could find* and my peppy-addicted 26 mos old had a nap without one. Shocker!! Her peppys are her form of crack.



They dared me to not give her one from now on. I had been preparing for this event to happen sometime this summer----we are not ready yet!! Here is the progress so far:

-Car ride home from daycare: didn't ask for peppy

-3 hours between being home and going to bed last night: she asked 5 times for "pepka goooo" and I said they were all gone. Then we phoned Baba and asked her if she knew where they all were (all 9 of them are hidden in the vitamin cupboard!)

-Bedtime: usual routine, read books, asked once for peppy, but gave her a stuffed mouse to chew on the tail.

-Wake up: 10 hours later, woke up to a new Littlest Pet Shop (how Waldorfian are they?) because I told her if she slept the whole night like a big girl she would get a new one. I don't think she understood, but slept 10 hours without the peppy anyway, so she got a new one!

-2 hours since waking up: so far, so good. Normal cranky Missy-ness, but we have come SO FAR!!!



I think the transition from home to daycare this morning (getting dressed, getting in car, driving, unloading at daycare) will be trying. But after that...



*I believe that when Lisa closes down her basement home licensed daycare and moves all the furniture out she will find dozens of soothers...where could they all dissappear to?????

The daycare drop off went well...missy acted like a "catty" and we said, here kitty kitty kitty, and all was well. She ate fruit leather on the way to daycare though....so I have already stopped and bought more fruit leather!!

My big girl!!

4 comments:

Seener Beaner said...

We are thinking of giving up peppy too. Erik can't ask for it yet, so I think I want to stop nowish... He is addicted too. I wonder what it is?

Awww that pic with Missy as a baby on the blanket... we have that blanket now! Erik uses it for stroller walks.

Diane Shiffer said...

i'm still finding binkies stashed in drawers and under things... and my youngest is *cough* ten years old.

i *do* clean... really i do.

Katie said...

When ER was a newborn and would wail in the stores and would NOT take a paci I used to pray that maybe this time she'd take it and not immediately send it sky high...now I see the other side to that coin. Trying to get it away from them!

Jen said...

We want Josie to be done with hers too. She threw it in the garbage herself the other day but dug it back out at nap time.

And by the way, I just put together who you are. I had no idea until now. haha! When I was reading your blog I was thinking ... this story sounds so familiar.