Saturday, January 2, 2010

"Quiet Time" Activity Box

We have dropped the nap at home. I was devastated that my 32 month old would not nap for me anymore--plus we were having so.many.sleep.issues. She was not getting to sleep until 10 pm on the days she napped at daycare--it was 2 hours of "get back to bed" "stay in your bed" etc. On the weekends when she was at home with no daytime nap, we started the nighttime routine earlier, and she passed out happily at 8 pm. It was glorious. But we need her to still have some type of "quiet time" so that when the baby comes she knows there is a quiet alone part of the day.
I read about an activity box on another blog, but when I googled it I didn't find very many ideas. Most of the suggestions were for older siblings that could craft or bead on their own. I am not ready for her to be in her room with the door closed and a bunch of shoelace!!
So I found some books that we have not looked at in a long time, some books that I was "saving for a rainy day", some dolls she has not seen in months (and forgot existed). I also cut out pictures from the Sears Christmas catalog of toys and kids and put them into envelopes addressed to Missy. She likes opening things and looking intently at smaller items, so I figured it would give her a good 7 minute activity.
This was the first box I did. Its still easy because I only have to do it on Saturday and Sunday. Now I put library books inside, a sweet treat, some Playmobile guys, and something she has not seen before. She might last in her quiet time for 5 minutes or 45. We are still working on it! I just think if she has something to look forward to, she will be excited to go into quiet time and stay there for awhile. This is the goal!!

Any suggestions? Ideas? Success stories??


1 comment:

Katie said...

Aw...now what's wrong with a 32 month old playing all alone with a bunch of shoe strings? Ha!